To apply for this position, please email us quoting “Group Financial Accountant, London” in the subject line and attaching your CV and a covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
About Assala Energy
Assala Energy is a private equity portfolio company of Carlyle with Oil Exploration and Production assets in Gabon.
Assala Energy’s strategy is to seek out brown-field assets where an opportunity exists to streamline operations, by making them more efficient. We are committed to long term investment and building solid returns for our shareholders and host countries.
Assala Energy puts its people first. The highly qualified management team has extensive experience in the industry, hailing from majors and juniors alike, with a focus in Africa.
Location: London with occasional travel to Gabon & India.
Reports To: Group Finance Manager.
Interacts with: CFO, Corporate Finance Manager, Corporate Debt Manager, Treasury Specialist, Gabon finance team; internal/external auditors; outsourced finance service providers; Shareholders.
The Group Financial Accountant will be the in-house technical accounting expert with an extensive knowledge of upstream oil and gas, providing leadership to the business in all areas of IFRS accounting. He/she should stay informed of IFRS accounting policy changes relevant to Assala, document policy changes and ensure that changes are implemented in the subsidiary companies.
They will be required to implement a robust consolidation process, which ensures that the Group accounting policies and compliance with IFRS are respected.
They will act as the focal point for all reporting requirements in the Assala Corporate Office including board reporting, working capital reviews and ad hoc requirements for shareholders and lenders.
They will perform the accounting for non-Gabon companies in the Assala Group, including Assala Energy Trading and will be a key member of the Management of the Group capital structure.
They will lead projects aligned to the continuous improvement of the Finance function and the Financial performance of the Group.
The successful candidate should develop a detailed knowledge of Assala’s operations to analyse financial information and provide support and advice to the wider business when required.
The role requires occasional travel to both Gabon and Bangalore to work with local finance staff and shared service support teams.
Responsibilities / Key objectives
- Perform the accounting for non-Gabon group companies and deliver the group consolidation to the Group Finance Manager on a monthly basis.
- Act as the technical lead to deliver the Group audit and consolidated year-end audited financial statements.
- Stay informed of IFRS policy changes relevant to Assala; document the impact of the policy change and implement in the business.
- Perform balance sheet reconciliations for non-Gabon entities on a quarterly basis to ensure integrity of financial statement balances.
- Ensure that Net Debt/EBITDAX ratios are prepared in accordance with Reserve Based Lending requirements and submitted to lenders together with the half year and full year financial statements.
- Responsible for verification and obtaining US director sign off on hedging trade confirmations.
- Support the preparation of the Assala monthly Management Report and Board packs by providing results and analysis to the CFO and Group Finance Manager.
- Understand and review Assala Gabon working capital position and communicate movements to Assala’s Senior Leadership team.
- Lead projects to support the development of the Group Finance function.
- Lead projects to optimise the Group Financial performance.
- Ad hoc group reporting support to the CFO, Group Finance Manager and Corporate Finance Manager.
- Regular interaction with Assala senior leadership team; Corporate finance team; Gabon finance manager and financial controller; external auditors and external finance/tax consultants.
- Approve any changes required to the Group Chart of Accounts.
- Bank approvals for Assala Energy UK payment runs including the settlement of monthly payroll to Assala Energy UK employees.
Qualification / Experience requirements / Personal attributes
ACA or equivalent.
Candidates who are currently working or have worked in big four accounting practices with experience in Oil and Gas are encouraged to apply.
Advanced IT skills (Word, Excel, MS Outlook, PowerPoint).
Fluent in English (French is a bonus). Optional French lessons are provided in the office each week.
Strong communication skills and confident dealing with various stakeholders.
Good team player.
Ability to work unsupervised and to a high standard with good attention to detail.
A self-driver who is hard working, committed, reliable and takes accountability for his/her actions.
Resilience and ability to adapt to change.