To apply for this position, please email us quoting “Assistant General Counsel, London” in the subject line and attaching your CV and a covering letter to: email@example.com
Handles a variety of regulatory, corporate, financing and compliance related legal issues and transactions, and performs other legal service functions not enumerated herein commensurate with experience.
Understands corporate structure and governance and will share responsibility for preparing board minutes, shareholders minutes and consents, and resolutions to support the business for all non-Gabon entities (Cayman, Bermuda, UK), and liaising with Gabon counsel for any necessary coordination in Gabon board and shareholders activities.
Manage claims, disputes and litigation. Supports the finance group in lending, hedging, account and other activities, and in particular as it relates to corporate authorizations and KYC.
In addition to operational contract support, provides compliance contract support to HR, HSSE, CSR and Operations, and assists in reviewing, maintaining and monitoring conflicts and gift and hospitality registers.
Develops, reviews and provides relevant training on policies and procedures relevant to the business. Supports commercial and contracting activities both in the UK and as needed in Gabon.
- Develop a deep understanding of the business and applicable regulatory requirements
- Provide legal assistance as and where required to meet business needs
- Provide value-added and proactive legal services with respect to increasingly complex legal matters and draft and negotiate increasingly complex legal documents and memoranda
- Collaborate with, and effectively utilize, internal and external counsel resources
- Make timely and appropriate decisions within areas of responsibility
- Identify and evaluate increasingly complex alternatives and recommend strategies and courses of action to assigned clients
- Proactively identify issues and problem-solve in assigned areas of responsibility and determine creative solutions
- Work on diverse legal projects; recommend changes to system and procedures; independent judgment required frequently
Qualification / Experience requirements / Personal attributes
- Diligent worker, conscientious, attention to detail, enjoys fast-paced environment
- 4-8 PQE qualified in UK
- Excellent communication skills, articulate, confident, emotionally intelligent and able to relate at all levels in an organization
- Ability to assess business implications of legal advice
- Ability to coordinate project teams relating to moderately complex legal issues in assigned areas.
- Highly desired: Experience with upstream oil and gas contracting, transportation, PSCs, JOAs, etc.,
- Highly desired: Fluent in English and French.